Thursday, April 07, 2005

strange patterns

HAS anyone else noticed yourself doing this? when entering a new situation (say, you're in week 3 of a new job) you immediately adapt and cling to patterns that are, really, kind of arbitrary. For example, every morning now, I take my travel mug to the coffee kiosk (everyone else uses styrofoam, which confuses me since I thought we were over that.) Wash it. The coffee machine is the kind that takes those little white units that kind of look like oversized creamers full of coffee and makes a cup at a time. But one cup is only half of my travel mug. So now I use one "Dark Magic" whic is described as "spellbinding" and one "Nantucket Blend," "distinctively complex." And it tastes fine.

3 comments:

Erica said...

Your consistency with the coffee machine and travel mug is an easy way to create a feeling of stability within a much broader situation of unfamiliarity. This is my analysis. When I first started at my new job, I always brought a lunch from home and ate it at Central Park and got my coffee consistently at Dunkin Donuts. At the office I felt awkward and was never quite sure what I was doing or what my personality was supposed to be like. Now that I am firmly identified as the young energetic funny one who doesn't complain and who does her job well (oh, those poor naive fools!), I switch it up. Lunch could be at Hot & Crusty. Could be from the Wildgreen Cafe bakery. Sometimes we order in! I have also realized that Dunkin Donuts coffee is not anywhere near as good on the Upper East Side as it is in New Jersey.

Fletch said...

Fitting in is overrated. Only the never ending feeling of no-belonging can keep you sharp enough to truly enjoy life.

Sarah said...

aforementioned coffee leaves marks on things- desk, wall, anywhere I spill it that are dark brown. Not coffee-brown but blackish, silty brown.