Thursday, April 28, 2005

Risky Business

One of my coworkers talks a lot, and over the past ten months of my employment I've gotten used to her tendency to think out loud. I almost always pay attention to what she says, but I don't always absorb it, even when it is relevant to me and/or my work. And I consider responding verbally totally optional. But today one of her non-sequiturs hit me like a ton of bricks:

She: "I saw on CNN this morning that Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes are dating."

Me: [shrieking] "What??????!!!!!!"

This blows me away. I don't even know what to write about it, but I had to write something. I think Katie Holmes is a beautiful, classy girl, and brava to her for scoring with Maverick himself, but WHAT is he doing? Besides having a mid-life crisis, which I don't think people as rich and successful as he is should be allowed to have. Please, someone (Alison, perhaps?) comment on this and help me sort it all out. Thanks.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

This is truly an earth-shattering celebrity couple. In some ways it makes sense- the Ben Affleck and J.Lo was always weird, then somehow he and Jennifer Garner made sense. Penelope Cruz Cruise was a strange choice and Katie Holmes does seem to make sense. I am always skeptical of age differences. She's our age, give 2 years. When he was Mav, she was trading PB & Js as a second grader. When he was sleeping with hookers, she was NOT YET IN KINDERGARTEN. Its just weird. What kind of life experience can they share? Forget he's Tom Cruise, Can you imagine dating a 43 year old man? Especially one who's ex-s include some of the most beautiful and successful women in world? Talk about a ripe for a complex.

Erica said...

To be fair, i expressed my initial shock in an email to sarah, and it was she who encouraged the bloggage. Alison, never be ashamed to write about what you learn in People.

Is Katie really looking for commitment? Maybe she broke it off with Chris because she decided she didn't really need to be married just yet. Maybe she thought, hey, what am I doing settling down at 25(ish) when I could be...I don't know, dating Tom Cruise, for example?

Other suggestions for celebrity matches of similar age/sex type? I'm thinking Julia Stiles & Rob Lowe. Keri Russell & Benicio Del Toro. Scarlet Johanssen & Denzel.

Lauren said...

Gothamist is trying to make sense of it too...

http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2005/04/28/what_would_joey_potter_do.php

Lauren said...

btw, in the picture Gothamist used (see previous post), she looks alarmingly skinny. Gross.

Sarah said...

And, as usual, very uncomfortable.

Erin said...

Tom Cruise is gay. I live in Vermont/Maine and know that.

Sarah said...

Interesting point that was made last night: Tommy doesn't date non-scientologists. They have to convert. Will Joey Potter start melting things with her mind? OOOoooo-oooooo.