Friday, April 15, 2005

proud to be

July, 1984: My mom spends the fourth of July with me in a McDonalds. She now refers to it as one of the most depressing nights of her entire life.

July, 2004: Nation's Restaurant News lists Quiznos #1 in sandwich chains in terms of U.S. sales growth.

Clearly Quiznos has hit on a profound desire for toasted food. “Mmmm…toasty” is all over their napkins, cups, plastic bags. I feel bad for Subway. The posters advertising the new toasted subs are just so transparent. Even not so nice looking corner delis attempt to gain credibility with signs that say “We have paninis.”

Strange that an unknown can become a standard. I know there was life before Starbucks, but I don't remember it. And even if I don't buy from Starbucks all that frequently, I'm very aware of its dark green presence.

Interestingly enough, the most popular sandwich at Quiznos, until recently, was the Classic Italian. Now it’s the Mesquite Chicken with Bacon. Would anyone reading this order either one of those sandwiches? How is turkey not the most popular? It’s when reading facts like these that I begin to feel even further estranged from my fellow Americans.

No comments: