Friday, April 15, 2005

New Job Ideas

I was away from the internet yesterday. It was hell. The whole day was kind hell, from the ten hours I spent standing making photo copies to the Ameri-Mex lunch I had at Tequilaville. In my day, though, I encountered a woman with a very interesting job. She works in advertising, trying to get celebrities to appear in public wearing diamonds. This is her JOB. Getting rich people to wear diamonds. My job involves data entry and getting varicose veins from standing for ten hours photocopying. It seems to me like getting celebrities to wear diamonds is like getting babies to poop their pants. Right now, we're young. Most of us are a little direction-less, looking for interesting and fulfilling career paths. Err... a "career path" even. I think we should all pay a little more attention to some cultural needs that, yes, may seem obvious or even like there's no need for someone to cater to them. But please stop and think- if someone can be paid a lot of money to get movie stars in diamonds, why can't I get paid to drink coffee and read novels?

3 comments:

Erica said...

Because doing so would not help to make a rich person more rich. Duh.

Julia B said...

i have a job you would be perfect for, sarah. how about writing witty responses to Evites for those challenged individuals who want to say "i am coming" or "screw your party" in the best way possible? 2 bucks a pop for about 15 seconds of wit.

Sarah said...

Oooh, that even pays slightly better than my current notary gig. $2? $2? I'll make it official. Please note: I am not allowed to officiate marriages, especially gay ones. But my jurisdiciton extends to the boundaries of New York State. $2! $2!