Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Living at Home, first time since '99

I think the worst part about living at home is running into other people's moms. These are the mothers of folks who were peripherial friends, the mothers whose daughters I played sports with, and mothers who talk to my mother and seem to know more about me then I do. Its been about six years since I've seen most of these women. And I know I've changed physically. Somehow between my time in Clark Hall and now six years later I aged and look like a woman (I don't usually get IDed, but then again, I am very confident when ordering a beer.) These past six years have taken a toll on these women. They look old and occasionally unrecognizable.

The worst possible place to see a friend's mother is at the Health club. (the health club sucks, its teal and purple.) Unfortunitly, the only time I run into them is in the locker room. The other morning, I walked into the locker room, and there Mrs. ________ in the midst of getting dress with her tits out. Now, I did the whole team shower thing in college and can handle a naked woman like the best of them, but I do not want to have a half hour convo with an older woman I barely know bare breasted. How can she seriously ask me, "What are your plans," with her boobs exposed. This has happened twice now.

The other terrible place is the grocery store. There is only on in our town, so the likelyhood of running into someone is very high. This past weekend I went in to get some stuff for a BBQ, a quick trip. Ran into Mrs. ______ (another Mom) in the checkout line. It was alright until she forced me to wait till she went through and then she took me outside to her car (where her cell phone was, you see people in VT still try to hide their cellphones) and forced me to call her son. Her son lives in Brooklyn, I haven't seen him since sophmore year in college. Luckily, he didn't answer the phone, although I did leave a message. I sort of like knowing that he screened the call from his mother.

OK. So, this is my question, what is worse running into old mothers you kind of know or kids from college that you do know and don't want to see?

No comments: