Tuesday, April 19, 2005

resume builder

My boss says I can’t banter for shit.

Here’s an example of a time when I was called upon to do so. It’s 9:30AM. I’m wearing a skirt with no tights. I fear that the paleness of my skin (veins are visible) may elicit a comment. I walk into his office.

“You’re dressed like you’re about to take an art class.” For some reason this observation of his did not stir within me the need to begin a good-humored back and forth. I had nothing.

I guess I could’ve responded with some attempt at a joke: “Why because my legs are as white as a blank canvas?” Not funny though.

Or maybe he was expecting some sort of sassy come back a la “Yeah well you’re dressed like you just walked out of a meat-head turned Westchester daddy catalogue.” This might get me fired.

It would’ve been fun just to say, “Well, actually I’m dressed for work. This is what I put on when it’s in the 70’s and I’m going to be stuck in an office building all day. I took one drawing class sophomore year in college and never wore anything remotely similar to what I am wearing now. So that’s funny that you think I look like I’m dressed for an art class.”

Maybe the next time he accuses me of being bad at the banter, I can simply refer him to this blog as an example of the kind of dialogue that I find to be satisfying. WHAT ELSE DO YOU HAVE TO DO foreva!

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I totally understand. One day last fall, I wore my "hooker boots" to work. And my boss said to me "Hey, you're dressed like you're going somewhere" and instead of laughing nervously, I wish I had thought to say, "Really Steve? Because you give me so much work that I won't be leaving the office today" or "Where Steve? Where do you think I look like I'm going" But alas, I have yet to master the art of small talk either.