Thursday, October 20, 2005

joking about rights

Today we all had a good laugh at my law firm. In court, the judge asked one of my lawyers if he would like to explain his client's rights to the client or if the lawyer would prefer that the judge explain the client's rights.

My lawyer had let his mind drift for a moment, which, of course we all do during even during quite important moments, and responded: "No, your honor, that won't be necessary." The judge looked at him quizically, said "Uh, well someone has to so I guess I will" and proceeded to explain to the client what his rights are.

Since at least a few of us are employed by law firms, we know that lawyers often take themselves way too seriously. Sometimes it's good to have a good chuckle over telling the judge that the client doesn't need his rights. It's no Boston Legal or Night Court, but still, it's funny and brightened my otherwise dull Thursday afternoon.

No comments: