Wednesday, June 08, 2005

High Drama on the 20th Floor

At work:
A man went running down the hall at about 10:30 this morning yelling, "does anyone know CPR?" I said no, when I do. I guess my certification is lapsed but I've been pumping, breathing and counting into dummies since taking Red Cross Babysitting the summer after 7th grade. Everyone got certified in Health class in 9th grade and all 3 summer I worked at YMCA camp I renewed. So why was my knee-jerk reaction to say no? On the surface, yeah, I was eating a bagel and didn't want to put my poppyseed mouth to somebody else's. But mostly I was scared, I think. Its been a long time, I don't want to fuck up. Then again, I would obivously be wracked with guilt if someone died I could have helped. And then I would consider myself the most selfish, terrible person alive. But for some reason now I don't, I just kind of want to study my movtivations and analyze it all.

Turns out one of the summer associates has a seizure condition and had a seizure. Note: The man obviously did not himself know CPR or he would have known that CPR is not what one needs during a seizure. People called security who called the paramedics who arrived approx. 10 minutes later they arrived (not a good sign for someone who actually would require CPR) The summer associate was fine but was taken to the hospital anyway, apparently he is on meds but has stopped taking them... this gave Maggie and I the opportunity to share seizure stories. I refrained from talking about my own baby seizures (since all I remember is a fireman laying me on the stairs and how uncomfortable it was) and elected to talk about a certain history professor at Wesleyan who warns each class that he may have a seizure, to just give him room and not to call 911. Yeah, right. Of course I'd call 911... I mean, it's not like I'd just stand there helplessly while someone suffers...

3 comments:

kristina said...

I once knew a person who carried with her at all times a plastic mouth piece that allowed her to perform CPR without exchanging fluids and germs. She thought it was very important. Like having your wallet or your cigarettes with you.

Also, is it possible the summer associate is a "faker?" Maybe he was just faking a seizure so he could spend the day enjoying hot weather. I knew a faker in college. She wore a neck brace all the time and had special lumbar chairs in all her classrooms and other people took notes for her so she wouldn't make her back worse by writing. This might make you feel bad for her but don't be fooled. She was a total faker. I saw her dance and run and all kinds of shit. She was just too lazy to take her own notes and liked special chairs (don't we all?).

It's more important to be on the look out for fakers than it is to carry CPR mouth dams.

PS. was it a good muffin?

Lauren said...

Claire Potter didn't have seizures, but I swear she had turrets!

Sarah said...

ALSO- as if I am going to get my face close to someone having a seizure, a condition in which people routinely bit off their own tongues...