Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Size Does Matter

I can't imagine what life would be like if I hadn't gone to Wesleyan, and I consider it the best decision I have ever made (with the possible exception of putting an end to my days of blowdrying my hair and choosing the cello over the violin in third grade). But I've always loved Wesleyan for the friends I made there, and thought that I could take or leave most other aspects of it. Now that I am beginning grad school at an enormous university, I love Wesleyan even more because of its size. I really can't remember ever being completely confused as to how to get information, or waiting on a line for more than 15 minutes that wasn't for food or for cheap beer at frats before it was outlawed, or reading through a list of events and not being sure which ones applied to me. I took for granted how easy it was to get answers to questions and how comforting to look around at your fellow students and feel like everyone was there for similar reasons and could probably relate in some way to your individual experience of the college. I'm 25 now and have been perfectly capable so far of navigating the NYU wilderness, but can you imagine being 18 and coming to a college that is like a city within a city? I think everyone who contributes to this blog went to a small school too, but maybe you have a better imagination than I do.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

This came up today during our "community service day." Some folks were discussing how much we'll appreciate being in school again and therefore not cut class, and one girl said, "yeah and the difference is that this time the professor will know your name." The Dennison, Bryn Mawr and Wesleyan alumnae were stumped. The girl then proceeded to tell us all about undergrad at the University of Wisconsin-Madison-- from the 700-person class she took to the hatred of "coasties" (these are people from the east and west coasts, I knew about this feeling but didn't know there was a word for it.) Anyway, I felt really relieved I had gone to a small school.... UW's ANTH 104 is as large as our whole class... but what I do like about the big University is how everything is institutionalized and more systemitized. Like scanning IDs to activate them instead of putting a sticker on? What a leap forward in technology. And I am loving the free bus pass, gotta say.