Friday, August 18, 2006

Watching TV in bed

As some of you might know, I just moved into a new apartment. I'm in a new city, I know 3 people in town and I'm living by myself. So many things are new these days and I'm kind of in a personal test of how I want to live. I've noticed some things about myself-- I apparently don't eat or shower when I'm at home with no chance of interpersonal contact... I do drink coffee, which usually leads to eating since coffee on an empty stomach makes it hurt. I also have delighted in watching TV in bed. I never thought of myself as this kind of person, but literally the first thing I did when left to my own devices was purchase a television. And then I set it up in my bedroom (not, I think, it's ultimate resting place, but....) and proceeded to watch 6 episodes of "Weeds" while lolling in bed. Tonight I am on my second episode of "24" from the comfort of bed... I think this is the ultimate luxury of the early 21st century and the realization of a lifelong dream. Obviously I was never allowed to have a TV in my room when I lived at home... so when purchasing a computer one of the major draws was being able to watch movies in bed. So here it is, internet, I am someone who needs a TV and goddamnit, I want to lie in bed and be entertained. Is that so wrong? No, I just like it so very much and it makes me feel young and American and free. And there's nothing wrong with that.

3 comments:

kristina said...

when eduardo is out of town and i have the bed to myself, one of my favorite activities is hopping into bed, opening the bedroom windows to let the cold minnesota january air in, bundling up in my down comforter, and watching re-runs of will and grace, or anything else that happens to be on. tv anywhere is good- in bed, it is divine.

incidentally, i am currently in vancouver, bc at a lovely hotel with beautiful views of the mountains and coast. almost as beautiful as the channel i watch in bed, which features 90210 re-runs. whoever said canada wasn't a real country must not have been a 90210 fan.

Erica said...

About 48 hours ago I moved back in to my apartment after a summer away, and, in the absence of several key players that have up to this point been part of my daily existence, I too am spending a great deal of time alone at home. I have discovered that I seem to have ADD. I can't do anything for more than 30 minutes, 40 tops. I'm reading a great book but can't get through a chapter without peeking ahead to see how many pages are left before it ends. In the middle of making an online purchase, I'll get up to find my credit card and come back 20 minutes later because I decided it would be a good time to wash the dishes. I can't watch TV without a ready distraction to entertain me during commercials. Now would be a good time to do some journalling, but I'm sure I'd get a only few sentences down before deciding to make a phone call. Now that I have a laptop (and signed up for netflix during the commercials of tonight's Grey's Anatomy rerun), I'll give the movie-watching in bed (and air conditioning!) a whirl and report back.

Julia B said...

TiVo sucks. I know because noah spent 2.5 hours "fixing" it last night in our living room while I slept soundly in the bed where i could watch a DVD or a Survivor episode. And yes, Survivor is my new game plan of how I will win a million dollars, so this is RESEARCH.