Thursday, August 24, 2006

Buying Fancy Jeans


Remember when jeans cost like $30 and shirts were like 15? Yeah me too. Those were the days. Especially since my mom was paying for everything anyway. It seemed like just when I was beginning to take over financial responsibility for my wardrobe, clothing prices started going insane. But at that point, ‘insane’ was like $65-80 for a pair of jeans. Those were splurge prices. Now they’re a good deal. And then a couple years ago, the $100-200 jean wave began. At first it seemed so outrageous and beyond comprehension that I assumed it was just a trend and everyone would come to their senses, or if it continued it would really only affect the very wealthy or the very shallow. But now, most people don't bat an eyelash!

Ok fine, I’ll stop the bullshit. I’m sitting here trying to contextualize and intellectualize why its ok that I just spent over $150 on a pair of jeans but there’s really no way around it. I did it. I totally gave into expensive jeans. I may pair them with my Mossimo pleather heals from Target and an H&M sales rack shirt but they are still really just a lot. Plus: its not like i'm running with a fancy crowd. I work at a nonprofit in a land of hippies. None of my friends would give a crap if I stopped wearing pants altogether. brands like rock and republic or joes jeans don’t make their hearts go a twitter. In fact, I’m hoping we can keep this little purchase just between you and me, because honestly, I’m going to lose a lot of credibility with the majority of my social group if word gets out that I succumbed to the almighty power of magazine and celebrity-approved attire for the price of a plane ticket to NY.

But I can’t hide who I am. The truth is, I read celebrity blogs every day and then when i'm really bored, i read the news. but in that order, not the other way around. I have a general idea of whats going on, but i can't wax poetic on the state of Lebanon today like i can about Lindsay or Nicole. I’m not incapable – there was a time when I was all about the information and the politicking. And its not like I have no soul - I work for an amazing legal aid place doing awesome things and I hope to someday change the world. I guess it’s just that deep down, when I picture changing the world, I’m Katherine Hepburn meets Angelina Jolie meets Cameron Diaz.

But going back to the jeans, I want to be clear: I am not looking for forgiveness or pity. You know why? Because holy crap I love these jeans! they're the best jeans i've ever owned! I want to wear them everywhere all the time. and you know what? I will! which means, if you break it down, that i'll really only be spending like 25 cents a day on my jeans. which is a damn good price! because I get dressed in the morning and I go through the rigmarole of looking into my closet for other pants to wear but the truth is, as far as I’m concerned, there are no other pants for me. I’m a one-pant kind of girl and I guess I’m ready to stop playing the field and really take stock of my needs and my desires and settle down with a pair that will treat me right, and make me feel good about myself, and flatter me, and make me smile. We’re going to have a beautiful life together.

7 comments:

Julia B said...

is that a picture of you in those jeans? cause "that's hot" as paris hilton would say. i don't know what emile lahoud would say.

Sarah said...

They're absolutely worth it. I've only ever bought mine on ebay, but I love them and only wear that one pair. Now they have a hole and soon I will send them off to NYC to get fixed and sent back to me. Because I love them that much. And because now I'm living on loans... Basically, I think there's no shame. Although having them has turned me into someone who is always checking out other womens' asses to see what BRAND their wearing. And that, I am not proud of.

Fletch said...

The funny thing is that ladies wear fancy jeans for themselves. Or each other. I would venture to bet that most guys can't tell the difference between your Sevens and the Lee's that you picked up at the Urban for $50. (Which is about the max that I would ever let myself pay for jeans. I would say that I shoot for 35-40. They're jeans.)

Of course if you're wearing them for the ladies...

kristina said...

as usual, i am a bit behind (no pun intended) in the trends. fashion and technology baffle me nearly equally. in any case, i know some of you are experts and i would be interested in a primer in fancy jeans. my income is going to increase substantially in the next couple of years and, while i intend to donate more money to moveon.org and public radio, i also plan on buying more expensive clothes. i would appreciate a sort-of "fancy jeans for dummies." i know you can do it.

Sarah said...

Also, can I just make it clear to the Internet that I know that in my comment abouve, it should be "BRAND they're wearing." I apologize for the typo. I've been using the internet drunk a lot lately...

Erica said...

My brother the MBA had an informational meeting yesterday with corporate Seven jeans. ("Have you ever heard of Seven For All Mankind jeans?" he asked me recently. Ha!) Apparently this fall, skinny jeans are in. For a change.

Lauren said...

yeah I'm not about to shell out 150 smackers for skinny jeans but I love my Sevens. Btw, I only have one pair and they are a cut above the rest.