Thursday, September 01, 2005

Livestrong or Die: How I learned to Stop Worrying and Oppose Bad Stuff

I'd like to draw your attention to the phenomenon of the rubber bracelet. I know this may strike close to home as some of you [Bay Area, I'm looking at you] have been known to wear the bracelets and/or sleep with those who wear the bracelets. I've assembled a little timeline of my relationship with the bracelet, hopefully by indentifying some patterns, I won't feel so haunted by them:
2004: Lance Armstrong introduces the LiveStrong bracelet. It is rubber, bright yellow, costs $1 and supports cancer research. Sales are unexpectedly strong, they sell out and soon people are paying upwards of $50 for a resold bracelet on ebay. This has become a fashion trend and because of the premium on resold bracelets, many bracelets are now detached from any kind of cancer research funding. Would those ebayers donate $50 to the LiveStrong Foundation? No, but they will pay $50 to look like they donated $1.
August 2004: I get into an argument with a bartender who is wearing a yellow Livestrong bracelet. I am a little drunk and tell him I don't think we should be idolizing a man who runs out on his wife after she stood by him through testicular cancer to tour europe with Sheryl Crow. The bartender does not agree, is angered and overcharges me. I have since been told that my chronology is a little off... I have also since been been told by multiple media outlets that Lance has been doping, I wonder what the bartender would have said about that.
November 2004: At Thanksgiving dinner, I notice my boyfriend's 17 year old sister is wearing a handful of rubber bracelets, as is his 12 yr old brother. I ask them about them and apparently they indicate opposition to cancer (Lance's but also specifically breast) and AIDS. Also support of Hollister, an offshoot of Abercrombie and Fitch, where she worked.
* * * *
Early August 2005: On a trip to Boston, Erica notices a bunch of rubber bracelets sold at Urban Outfitters. She asks the cashier about the ten pack of bracelets inscribed with phrases like, "Shit Faced." She is told that these are not in fact bracelets modeled after the Livestrong bracelets, but instead bands to be put around a beer bottle in order to tell whose is whose. We call bullshit on that.
Mid-August 2005: We all discover that orange rubber bracelets means you want to stay in Gaza.
Late August: I am riding the subway and all of the sudden notice how it seems most everyone in the car is wearing some kind of bracelet. Most of them say "Grenada," "Trinidad" or "Puerto Rico," one women next to me has a white one that says "one." I get to work and google it, learning that apparently on that very subway that morning I was sitting next to a woman who opposed world poverty. I think Bono is involved with this effort, although we already know he opposes poverty.
September 1, 2005: In a little internet research for this blog, I discover all of the options for what you can buy a bracelet to say. I also discover sites like: http://www.customsiliconebracelets.com/ where you can make them say whatever you want (or buy, premade ones) which then you can resell. And so... I am open to suggestions. Let's print some up and tell the world we also don't like bad things.

6 comments:

Juliet said...

Color: Grey. Bad thing: Lung Cancer. Tie it in to some sort of Peter Jennings anti-smoking campaign. But what should it say? "Breathe."

Julia B said...

one of the patients i work with collected over 30 of them and wore them up and down both arms. i asked if she took them off when she showered, and she said no, never. then she started to get rashes and her arms itched all the time and it bothered her a lot. so now she only wears one to color coordinate with her outfit, funky bright orange shoes to go with her "i love nursing" bracelet. the days with the tie-dyed bracelets are especially fun.

Sarah said...

Other choice options include:
"Beat Bullying"
"John 3:16"
and, my personal favorite, "Live" which is awfully close to Juliet's suggestion, though I am not sure what "live" is in opposition to except for death generally. I guess I can get behind that. And, in case you're wondering, like I was, John 3:16 is that "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." So I guess that bracelet is opposed to actual life and more pro-afterlife.

Sarah said...

Ok, I'm sorry, but poking around religious sites (like after you google "John 3:16" is bizarre. Check out this flash animation of Jesus' crucifiction and also check out the asses of those Romans. Yowza.

http://www.gieson.com/Library/projects/animations/walk/

Fletch said...

Well, now I know how to get the cross up after I've crucified someone.

One of my old co-workers who is a Texas-Ex's member (say it ten times fast) gave me a burnt orange "Hook 'em Horns" bracelet. I look at it every day and wonder when I will purchase a shirt that matches.

Lauren said...

I coach field hockey with a woman who wears one that says "I love Jesus" It also glows in the dark.

P.S. your chronology should include a very early predecessor: WWJD