Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Holidazzle

So apparently Bush is totally booked for the next 3 weeks or so. I wonder when he'll observe Kwanzaa.
Also, speaking of religious pluralism, I read an article this morning about Hindus wanting New York to make Diwali another Alternate Side Parking Suspended day- so the normal rules of "no Parking on Tuesdays" don't apply on those days. Bloomberg vetoed the bill to make Diwali one of those days, unfortunately it seems the NYC DOT has gotten themselves into a little bit of a pickle since there are already something like 45 of these days including "Solemnity of Ascension" and "Shemini Atzereth" (observed at the end of Sukkot, marked by a service in memory of the dead and a special prayer for rain.) The city argued that the other holidays represent a large number of people and are holidays that prohibit driving (so folks can't move their cars,) which I guess makes sense except in cases like "Lincoln's Birthday" and "Lincoln's Birthday (observed)." The cars are moved to allow street cleaning and so this was another point raised, if parking weren't enforced in Diwali, the streets would be dirty... but what about the one-two punch of the 7th and 8th days of Passover immediately followed by Holy Thursday and Good Friday!?!? The streets will be filthy in late April, book your vacations now.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Speaking of New York and transportation. Is this(http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/372251p-316640c.html) really such a good idea? I mean, if the MTA shuts down in a week... well, that will suck. But I'm not sure I want scabs and "Looks like some things have changed since my day... but hey, it's like riding a bike, right?" desk-workers in charge of the hundreds of tons of steel that shuttle me to and fro... but maybe thats just me.
Everyone will also be relieved to know that we're in the top ten results if one googles, "conservative christian youth work."

Erica said...

I'm all for my 40-day holiday metrocard, but would have been happy if the surplus went to pay raises for the folks that run the trains and clean the shit out of them and make it possible for me to get to work and do other stuff. Especially if it would mean them NOT striking and stranding me in Park Slope. Although that really wouldn't be the worst thing. I have everything I need there...as long as it didn't interfere with the mail so that we could still get our netflix and stay busy.